WE RECOMMENDED ALL SUBMITTING FILMMAKERS TAKE AN ENVIRONMENTALLY SUSTAINABLE APPROACH TO FRONT OF STAGE AND BEHIND THE SCENES IN THEIR FILM PRODUCTION.
The following are tips you can implement on your productions:
- Use low energy bulbs (ask your supplier for help) and low energy bulbs for practicals at your location
- Run minimal lighting checks
- Employ natural light wherever possible
- Try to avoid using any polystyrene – it’s not recyclable and ends up in landfill
- Return any croc clips or large gel offcuts to the lighting company so that they can be reused
COSTUME & MAKE UP
- Using pre-existing costume and makeup (from cast/crew) before purchase of new
- Sourcing clothing from second-hand shops or renting pieces
- Donating or re-homing goods which will not be used by cast/crew post-filming
SETS & PROPS
- Using pre-existing scenery and furniture (from cast/crew) before considering purchasing new props
- Purchasing second-hand pieces or borrow!
- Using Scenery Salvage and other set design exchanges to eliminate contribution to landfill
- Encouraging the normalisation of sustainable behaviour as incidentally on screen in a ‘non-preachy’ manner
- Using ethical/environmentally friendly products in background of scenes etc
- Banning single use unrecylable disposables (using ‘vegware’ if needed) and encouraging crew/cast to bring their own containers, cups and cutlery.
- Using conscious catering suppliers, or bring a packed lunch!
- Take public transport wherever possible
- Reduce the amount of scripts given out
- Callsheets and schedules on iPad/phone – one tip is to have one large copy of each and display on set on a noticeboard